Sunday, September 5, 2010

30 Thing about My Invisible Illness You May not Know



  1. The illness I live with is:   still grossly undiagnosed, but i have a list...dysthymia, borderline personality disorder, ocd, non-specific esophageal motility disorder, gastric antral vascular ecstasia
  2. I was diagnosed with it in the year:   psychological, 2001-04.  physical, 2009-10
  3. But I had symptoms since:   as long as i can remember
  4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is:   realizing it's not all in my head and that i cannot do everything...sometimes you have to take a break
  5.  Most people assume:   im a hypochondriac or just looking for attention...or that im exaggerating
  6. The hardest part about mornings are:    getting out of bed...im usually tired and stiff
  7. My favorite medical TV show is:  probably ER or Scrubs
  8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is:  my cell...
  9. The hardest part about nights are:  knowing that i'll have to do it all over again the next day
  10. Each day I take __ pills & vitamins. (No comments, please)  varies, but i take around 15 total now
  11. Regarding alternative treatments I:  have only looked into supplements...thinking about acupuncture though 
  12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose:  i'd choose the one that hurts less i guess...i dont know...
  13. Regarding working and career:  i've been missing work and i never do that...it's hard to be bubbly and happy when you hurt
  14. People would be surprised to know:  that i cry sometimes
  15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been:  life is very fragile and it's may not play out how you always imagined it would
  16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was:  n/a...doctors are just now beginning to agree that somethings wrong...soooooooooo
  17. The commercials about my illness:  they have ones for depression...they are depressing lol
  18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is:  i havent really changed much since i dont have a definite dx right now
  19. It was really hard to have to give up:  n/a
  20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is:  blogging more since im in bed more often 
  21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would:  go running
  22. My illness has taught me:  that people get really uncomfortable around sick people
  23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is:  "oh, that's why you're so skinny!!"
  24. But I love it when people:  actually take the time to understand what im going through and ask questions or google
  25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is:  Things will get better.  If they don't, oh well.    :-)
  26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them:  welcome to the club
  27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is:  people in the medical field can be real jerks
  28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was:  ask me if i needed help
  29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because:  we are overlooked...especially if we are young.  nobody believes us.  nobody cares.  they think it can't be THAT bad since we don't look sick, but we suffer.  and im sure that many are like me, and they just stop saying how bad they feel.  we stop going to doctors when they dont believe us.  we stop believing ourselves.  that's no way to live.  we need a voice.
  30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel:  happy because somebody actually came to my blog.  lmao

3 comments:

  1. Hi Latoya, that's quite a list! I wish that I could wave a magic wand and make it all go away! Hoping and praying that you will get some good news, soon and that they will be able to figure out what's causing these illnesses. Acupuncture sounds like a good plan, and is very helpful for pain. Have you been tested for allergies? I have read several interesting books about cerebral allergies, as well as physical allergies. Meanwhile, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. You made me Google cerebral allergies...that's very interesting. I had some allergy testing done about three months ago via the skin test and I'm not allergic to any common things. I have had an allergic reaction before to penicillin...possibly...and that's it. I'm sensitive to some of the older sunscreens. I'm actually getting some testing for hypersensitivity/hyposensitivity right now.

    I'm hoping they find something with these set of tests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THank you for sharing your II's. I know for many of us the hardest part of the diseases we fight are the conjectures of the many who do not have a clue. Hang in there and together we'll educate, one person at a time. Love your meme!! Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails